Often, people have been surprised to learn that there are technology groups in Liberia. In fact, some are shocked to learn that there are any local developers at all in Liberia. Well, if you love technology and seek to meet others of similar interest, then the Monrovia chapter of the Google Technology Users Group is for you.
A GTUG is a group of students, educators, tech enthusiasts, developers, and system administrators who come together to learn and share knowledge about technology in an open environment. Although the name Google is associated with it, a GTUG is not affiliated with Google, and therefore is not directly under Google. At a GTUG meet-up, one can discuss any technology topic of interest from Windows to opensource to programming.
A GTUG seeks to bring all players in the technology industry into one place. This is a great place for technology vendors and ISPs to show off their new products.
The Monrovia chapter was formed in late 2010 after the Google Internet Camp was held in Monrovia. It is 40 persons strong (as at the time of this writing) and growing.
Monrovia GTUG runs both a website (http://sites.google.com/site/monroviagtug) and a discussion group (http://groups.google.com/group/monrovia-gtug). The website is updated with events and photos, whilst the discussion group is a place where questions can be asked and answered by others. Posting a question on the discussion group will automatically notify all members of the group about your question and you are sure to receive a reply from the group members.
The discussion group is also free to join. In fact, the Monrovia GTUG is an open group. It is open to all persons with interest in technology without a membership fee. Membership into this group can be done online once you have an e-mail address. Also, being an open group, everyone is free to ask and answer questions.
Having recently secured a meeting place, the group will be regularizing meeting days and planning new events. Typically, meetings are free to attend as well as events. However, with limited space available, intention to participate in such events has to be demonstrated early, by registering beforehand.
So if you are passionate about computers or the Internet or technology in general and want to be a part of this group, then please follow the simple steps below:
1. Visit this website: http://groups.google.com/group/monrovia-gtug
2. On the website, click "Join this group". This is found at the right side of the page
3. Now if you already have a Google Account (A Gmail account is already a Google Account), you can simply enter your username and password and sign in.
However, if you don't have a Google Account, no worries. You can create one. You don't need to create an additional e-mail account. You can use your existing e-mail address, whether it is Yahoo! Hotmail, or Goatmail. Simply click "Create an account"
Then enter your existing e-mail address into the form along with the other required details and click "I accept, create my account"
4. This will bring you to the next page, where you can choose how much e-mail you want to receive, as well as choosing a nickname to use on the group. When done, click "Save Settings"
5. Congratulations! You are now a part of the Monrovia Google Technology Users Group! You can click Discussions and start a new post to introduce yourself to the group. This is the only tradition you are required to do. That way, we all get to know each other.